Die Waldschule in Flensburg ist eine Grundschule die sich im Stadtteil Westliche Höhe befindet. Ihr Hauptgebäude ist eines der Kulturdenkmale des Stadtteils. Die Waldstraße, an der die Schule liegt, führt in Richtung Marienhölzung. Sie liegt direkt neben der dänischen Gustav-Johannsen-Skolen. Die Waldschule ist die Kooperationsschule der Universität Flensburg.
Benannt wurde die Waldschule offenbar in Anlehnung an die Waldstraße, die zum nahegelegenen Waldgebiet führt. Möglicherweise könnte aber auch eine Benennung nach dem Diakon Jasper Wald vorliegen. Jasper Wald hatte von 1837 bis 1842 in St. Johannis gewirkt und hatte sich für die Einrichtung von Warteschulen eingesetzt. Er verstarb 1877.
Das Schuldgebäude wurde ab 1903 nach Plänen des Stadtbaurates Otto Fielitz errichtet. Bis 1904 entstand das Quergebäude mit dem Haupteingang, dass für die St. Marien-Knabenschule IV gedacht war. Es folgte 1905 bis 1908 der Erweiterungsflügel an der Norderallee für eine achtklassige Mädchenschule. Der Backsteinbau mit gotischen und Jugendstil-Elementen zeigt leichte Ähnlichkeiten zum kurz zuvor entstanden neugotischen Backsteinbau des Hans-Christiansen-Hauses, ursprünglich ebenfalls eine Schule und ebenfalls von Otto Fielitz. Doch eine noch stärkere stilistische Ähnlichkeit zeigt die Waldschule zur Marineschule Mürwik aus dem Jahr 1910 von Adalbert Kelm insulated glass water bottle, auch wenn die Waldschule weniger schlossartig wirkt. Am Giebel der Turnhalle der Waldschule wurde ein Flensburgwappen und unter diesem das Zeichen des Deutschen Turnerbundes angebracht.
In den 1910er Jahren befand sich im Zeichensaal der Waldschule eine naturwissenschaftliche Sammlung, welche den Anfang des heutigen Naturwissenschaftlichen Museums Flensburgs markierte.
1951 wurden neue Pavillonsklassen hinzugefügt best gym bottle. 1962 und 1965 wurden an die alte Turnhalle Anbauten für Ankleideräume und Gymnastikunterricht hinzugefügt. Der Denkmalschützer Lutz Wilde bemerkte hinsichtlich der modernen, kontrastreichen Anbauten: „[…] Turnhalle durch moderne Anbauten zum Hof und vor der Giebelseite entstellt [. 4 bottle hydration belt.
Le Gorouol est une rivière intermittente d’Afrique sahélienne qui coule au Burkina Faso et au Niger how to tenderise steak. C’est un affluent du fleuve Niger en rive droite.
Le Gorouol naît au Burkina Faso, dans la région de Dori, à l’est du pays. Il adopte rapidement une orientation allant du sud-ouest vers le nord-est en direction du territoire du Niger. Après avoir baigné la petite ville de Falagountou, il traverse la frontière nigérienne et se dirige dès lors vers le nord. Il baigne les localités de Fatatako, Borobon, Gountiéna et Ouanzerbé, puis arrive à Yatakala. À cet endroit, il adopte la direction de l’est, baigne encore Bossé Bangou, Alcongui et Kolman, et se jette enfin dans le Niger au niveau de Fanfara, à une soixantaine de kilomètres en amont de la ville de Tillabéry
. C’est un cours d’eau intermittent qui ne coule que lors de la saison des pluies.
Le débit de la rivière a été observé pendant 32 ans (1957-1989) à Alcongui, localité située à une quarantaine de kilomètres du confluent avec le Niger .
À Alcongui, le débit annuel moyen ou module observé sur cette période a été de 9 m3/s pour une surface prise en compte de plus ou moins 44 900 km2, soit la presque totalité du bassin versant de la rivière.
La lame d’eau écoulée dans le bassin n’atteint ainsi que le chiffre très faible de 6 millimètres par an.
Le Gorouol est un cours d’eau intermittent army football uniforms, fort peu abondant et très irrégulier. Il se retrouve totalement à sec de janvier à mai inclus, et seuls les mois de juillet à septembre offrent la certitude de ne pas le trouver à sec. Sur la durée d’observation de 32 ans, le débit mensuel minimal a été de 0 m3/s, niveau où le cours d’eau se retrouve cinq mois par an en moyenne, tandis que le débit mensuel maximal s’élevait à 237 m3/s.
Tachypodoiulus niger est un mille-pattes vivant dans le sol, les anfractuosités et le bois mort ou en décomposition waist bottle belt. Il appartient à la classe des diplopodes, à l’ordre des Julida, à la famille des Julidae.
Son corps noir est composé de nombreux segments couverts d’une cuticule dure, noire et brillante  fabric shaver;; comme chez les autres diplopodes, les quatre premiers segments ne portent qu’une seule paire de pattes, les suivants fusionnés deux à deux montrent deux paires de pattes chacun glass bottle with filter.
Il n’est pas venimeux comme le sont les chilopodes cheap jerseys authentic, mais pour se défendre il peut s’enrouler et sécréter des substances répulsives et toxiques pour les oiseaux ou certains autres prédateurs.
C’est un détritivore qui se nourrit de débris végétaux éventuellement en cours de décomposition par des bactéries ou des champignons.
Comme Ommatoiulus sabulosus, Tachypodoiulus niger fait de la périodomorphose, une stratégie de reproduction particulière.
Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?) selon les recommandations des projets correspondants.
Consultez la liste des tâches à accomplir en page de discussion.
Pablo de la Llave (Córdoba (Veracruz), 11 février 1773– Córdoba (Veracruz), Juillet 1833) était un prêtre, homme politique et naturaliste mexicain.
Après de brillantes études universitaires, il devint professeur au collège national de Jean-de-Latran et docteur en théologie à l’Université de Mexico. Il voyagea en Europe et vécut quelque temps à Paris, avant de devenir directeur du Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle Madrid. En 1811 et 1812 Fabric Shaver, il devint l’assistant de José Mariano Mociño et organisa les collections de l’expédition de Madidi (1787–1803) sur histoire naturelle du Mexique.
En 1820 et 1821, il représenta l’État de Veracruz au Parlement espagnol. De retour au Mexique après l’indépendance, il occupa plusieurs charges ecclésiastiques. En 1824, le premier président du Mexique, Guadalupe Victoria, le nomma dans son nouveau cabinet. Il fut aussi sénateur de Veracruz. En politique, Llave fut considéré comme un libéral, collaborateur du prêtre et politicien républicain Miguel Ramos Arizpe. En biologie, lui et son collaborateur Juan José Martínez de Lejarza furent les premiers à entreprendre l’étude systématique des orchidées de l’État de Michoacán. En 1824, ils publièrent un ouvrage décrivant plus de 50 espèces. En 1831, Llave fut nommé directeur du muséum national d’histoire naturelle du Mexique. En 1832 et 1833, il publia des notes ornithologiques où il décrivait et nommait plusieurs espèces d’oiseaux bottled water in glass bottles, dont le colibri à ventre gris (Amazilia tzacatl) et surtout le célèbre quetzal resplendissant (Pharomachrus mocinno).
Flemming Walther Stadil (9. marts 1938 i Ringe – 30. november 2012) var en dansk kirurg, professor dr.med. og tidligere formand for Retslægerådet.
Stadil var med til at indføre transplantation af bugspytkirtler til sukkersygepatienter i Danmark. Han var endvidere blandt de drivende kræfter i Rigshospitalets forsøg med transplantationer, før de blev indført i Danmark.
Karrieren som læge startede, da han blev færdig med medicinstudiet på Aarhus Universitet. Han valgte at specialisere sig som kirurg, og fik i 1968 ansættelse ved Rigshospitalet, der senere blev omdrejningspunktet for karrieren. Som 40-årig blev han i 1978 ansat som overlæge på Herlev Hospital, fem år senere avancerede han til kirurgisk overlæge på Rigshospitalet; en stilling han besatte i 24 år. Samtidig blev han ved ansættelsen på Rigshospitalet, udnævnt til professor i kirurgi ved Københavns Universitet meat tenderizer definition.
Gennem tiden bestred han en række forskellige tillidsposter – bl.a. som generalsekretær for Dansk Kirurgisk Selskab (1979-82), formand for Dansk Gastroenterologisk selskab (1984-87) what tenderizes meat, formand for Retslægerådet (2003-09), næstformand for Dansk Medicinsk Selskab (1987-89), samt som præsident for Nordisk Kirurgisk Forening (1991-93). Desuden var han menigt medlem af Dyreforsøgstilsynet og Statens Sundhedsvidenskabelige Forskningsråd.
Flemming Stadil udgav flere faglige lærebøger fabric shaver, og har skrevet mere end 200 videnskabelige tidsskriftsartikler.
Au pays de Zom est un film québécois réalisé par Gilles Groulx, sorti en 1983. Ce film est un essai que Groulx a lui-même qualifié de „fantaisie musicale néo-surréaliste“, interprété principalement par le basse Joseph Rouleau thermos tritan hydration bottle with meter 24 ounce, sur une musique composée et dirigée par Jacques Hétu. Il est situé à mi-chemin entre le cinéma, le théâtre et l’opéra water bottle suppliers.
Un riche financier imbu de sa personne fait le point sur sa situation personnelle et ses relations avec les gens qui l’entourent, dans un quotidien morne et modelé par les vicissitudes du pouvoir
La fausse modestie du discours de Monsieur Zom est l’occasion pour Groulx d’exprimer une fois de plus, dans un style pamphlétaire (24 heures ou plus, 1973), son engagement contre le capitalisme. C’est également la poursuite d’une réflexion sur la nature du bonheur des mieux nantis, que l’abondance et la complaisance peuvent altérer.
Victime d’un grave accident de voiture au moment du montage, Gilles Groulx termine le film non sans peine avant de se retirer complètement du cinéma.
John Wesley (/ˈdʒɒn ˈwɛsli/ or /ˈdʒɒn ˈwɛzli/; 28 June [O.S. 17 June] 1703 – 2 March 1791) was an Anglican cleric and theologian who, with his brother Charles and fellow cleric George Whitefield, is credited with the foundation of Methodism. His work and writings also played a leading role in the development of the Holiness movement and Pentecostalism.
Educated at Charterhouse School and Oxford University, Wesley was elected a fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford in 1726 and ordained a priest two years later. Returning to Oxford in 1729 after serving as curate at his father’s parish, he led the Holy Club, a society formed for the purpose of study and the pursuit of a devout Christian life; it had been founded by his brother Charles, and counted George Whitefield among its members. After an unsuccessful ministry of two years at Savannah in the Georgia Colony, Wesley returned to London and joined a religious society led by Moravian Christians. On 24 May 1738 he experienced what has come to be called his evangelical conversion, when he felt his „heart strangely warmed“. He subsequently departed from the Moravians, beginning his own ministry.
A key step in the development of Wesley’s ministry was, like Whitefield, to travel and preach outdoors. In contrast to Whitefield’s Calvinism, Wesley embraced the Arminian doctrines that dominated the Church of England at the time. Moving across Great Britain and Ireland, he helped form and organise small Christian groups that developed intensive and personal accountability, discipleship and religious instruction. Most importantly, he appointed itinerant, unordained evangelists to travel and preach as he did and to care for these groups of people. Under Wesley’s direction, Methodists became leaders in many social issues of the day, including prison reform and the abolition of slavery.
Although he was not a systematic theologian, Wesley argued for the notion of Christian perfection and against Calvinism – and, in particular, against its doctrine of predestination. He held that, in this life, Christians could achieve a state where the love of God „reigned supreme in their hearts“, giving them outward holiness. His evangelicalism, firmly grounded in sacramental theology, maintained that means of grace were the manner by which God sanctifies and transforms the believer, encouraging people to experience Jesus Christ personally.
Throughout his life, Wesley remained within the established Anglican church, insisting that the Methodist movement lay well within its tradition. In his early ministry, Wesley was barred from preaching in many parish churches and the Methodists were persecuted; he later became widely respected and, by the end of his life, had been described as „the best loved man in England“.
John Wesley was born in 1703 in Epworth, 23 miles (37 km) north-west of Lincoln, as the fifteenth child of Samuel Wesley and his wife Susanna Wesley (née Annesley). Samuel Wesley was a graduate of the University of Oxford and a poet who, from 1696, was rector of Epworth. He married Susanna, the twenty-fifth child of Samuel Annesley, a dissenting minister, in 1689. Ultimately, she bore him nineteen children, of which nine lived beyond infancy. She and Samuel Wesley had become members of the Church of England as young adults.
As in many families at the time, Wesley’s parents gave their children their early education. Each child, including the girls, was taught to read as soon as they could walk and talk. They were expected to become proficient in Latin and Greek and to have learned major portions of the New Testament by heart. Susanna Wesley examined each child before the midday meal and before evening prayers. Children were not allowed to eat between meals and were interviewed singularly by their mother one evening each week for the purpose of intensive spiritual instruction. In 1714, at age 11, Wesley was sent to the Charterhouse School in London (under the mastership of John King from 1715), where he lived the studious, methodical and, for a while, religious life in which he had been trained at home.
Apart from his disciplined upbringing, a rectory fire which occurred on 9 February 1709, when Wesley was five years old, left an indelible impression. Some time after 11:00 p.m., the rectory roof caught on fire. Sparks falling on the children’s beds and cries of „fire“ from the street roused the Wesleys who managed to shepherd all their children out of the house except for John who was left stranded on the second floor. With stairs aflame and the roof about to collapse, Wesley was lifted out of the second floor window by a parishioner standing on another man’s shoulders. Wesley later utilised the phrase, „a brand plucked out of the fire“, quoting Zechariah 3:2, to describe the incident. This childhood deliverance subsequently became part of the Wesley legend, attesting to his special destiny and extraordinary work.
In June 1720, Wesley entered Christ Church, Oxford. In 1724, he graduated as a Bachelor of Arts and decided to pursue a Master of Arts degree. He was ordained a deacon on 25 September 1725, holy orders being a necessary step toward becoming a fellow and tutor at the university.
In the year of his ordination he read Thomas à Kempis and Jeremy Taylor, and began to seek the religious truths which underlay the great revival of the 18th century. The reading of Law’s Christian Perfection and A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life gave him, he said, a sublimer view of the law of God; and he resolved to keep it, inwardly and outwardly, as sacredly as possible, believing that in obedience he would find salvation. He pursued a rigidly methodical and abstemious life, studied the Scriptures, and performed his religious duties diligently, depriving himself so that he would have alms to give. He began to seek after holiness of heart and life.
In March 1726, Wesley was unanimously elected a fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford. This carried with it the right to a room at the college and regular salary. While continuing his studies, he taught Greek, lectured on the New Testament and moderated daily disputations at the university. However, a call to ministry intruded upon his academic career. In August 1727, after taking his master’s degree, Wesley returned to Epworth. His father had requested his assistance in serving the neighbouring cure of Wroote. Ordained a priest on 22 September 1728, Wesley served as a parish curate for two years. He returned to Oxford in November 1729 at the request of the Rector of Lincoln College and to maintain his status as junior fellow.
During Wesley’s absence, his younger brother Charles (1707–88) matriculated at Christ Church. Along with two fellow students, he formed a small club for the purpose of study and the pursuit of a devout Christian life. On Wesley’s return, he became the leader of the group which increased somewhat in number and greatly in commitment. The group met daily from six until nine for prayer, psalms, and reading of the Greek New Testament. They prayed every waking hour for several minutes and each day for a special virtue. While the church’s prescribed attendance was only three times a year, they took communion every Sunday. They fasted on Wednesdays and Fridays until three o’clock as was commonly observed in the ancient church. In 1730, the group began the practice of visiting prisoners in jail. They preached, educated, and relieved jailed debtors whenever possible, and cared for the sick.
Given the low ebb of spirituality in Oxford at that time, it was not surprising that Wesley’s group provoked a negative reaction. They were considered to be religious „enthusiasts“ which in the context of the time meant religious fanatics. University wits styled them the „Holy Club“, a title of derision. Currents of opposition became a furor following the mental breakdown and death of a group member, William Morgan. In response to the charge that „rigorous fasting“ had hastened his death, Wesley noted that Morgan had left off fasting a year and a half since. In the same letter, which was widely circulated, Wesley referred to the name „Methodist“ which „some of our neighbors are pleased to compliment us.“ That name was used by an anonymous author in a published pamphlet (1733) describing Wesley and his group, „The Oxford Methodists“.
For all of his outward piety, Wesley sought to cultivate his inner holiness or at least his sincerity as evidence of being a true Christian. A list of „General Questions“ which he developed in 1730 evolved into an elaborate grid by 1734 in which he recorded his daily activities hour-by-hour, resolutions he had broken or kept, and ranked his hourly „temper of devotion“ on a scale of 1 to 9. Wesley also regarded the contempt with which he and his group were held to be a mark of a true Christian. As he put it in a letter to his father, „Till he be thus contemned, no man is in a state of salvation.“
On 14 October 1735, Wesley and his brother Charles sailed on The Simmonds from Gravesend in Kent for Savannah in the Province of Georgia in the American colonies at the request of James Oglethorpe, who had founded the colony in 1733 on behalf of the Trustees for the Establishment of the Colony of Georgia in America. Oglethorpe wanted Wesley to be the minister of the newly formed Savannah parish, a new town laid out in accordance with the famous Oglethorpe Plan.
It was on the voyage to the colonies that the Wesleys first came into contact with Moravian settlers. Wesley was influenced by their deep faith and spirituality rooted in pietism. At one point in the voyage a storm came up and broke the mast off the ship. While the English panicked, the Moravians calmly sang hymns and prayed. This experience led Wesley to believe that the Moravians possessed an inner strength which he lacked. The deeply personal religion that the Moravian pietists practised heavily influenced Wesley’s theology of Methodism.
Wesley arrived in the colony in February 1736. He approached the Georgia mission as a High Churchman, seeing it as an opportunity to revive „primitive Christianity“ in a primitive environment. Although his primary goal was to evangelise the Native Americans, a shortage of clergy in the colony largely limited his ministry to European settlers in Savannah. While his ministry has often been judged to have been a failure in comparison to his later success as a leader in the Evangelical Revival, Wesley gathered around him a group of devoted Christians who met in a number of small group religious societies. At the same time, attendance at church services and communion increased over the course of nearly two years in which he served as Savannah’s parish priest.
Nonetheless, Wesley’s High Church ministry was controversial amongst the colonists and it ended in disappointment after Wesley fell in love with a young woman named Sophia Hopkey. Following her marriage to William Williamson, Wesley believed Sophia’s former zeal for practising the Christian faith declined. In strictly applying the rubrics of the Book of Common Prayer, Wesley denied her communion after she failed to signify to him in advance her intention of taking it. As a result, legal proceedings against him ensued in which a clear resolution seemed unlikely. In December 1737, Wesley fled the colony and returned to England.
It has been widely recognised that one of the most significant accomplishments of Wesley’s Georgia mission was his publication of a Collection of Psalms and Hymns. The Collection was the first Anglican hymnal published in America, and the first of many hymn-books Wesley published. It included five hymns he translated from German.
Wesley returned to England depressed and beaten. It was at this point that he turned to the Moravians. Both he and Charles received counsel from the young Moravian missionary Peter Boehler, who was temporarily in England awaiting permission to depart for Georgia himself. Wesley’s noted „Aldersgate experience“ of 24 May 1738, at a Moravian meeting in Aldersgate Street, London, in which he heard a reading of Martin Luther’s preface to the Epistle to the Romans, revolutionised the character and method of his ministry. The previous week he had been highly impressed by the sermon of John Heylyn, whom he was assisting in the service at St Mary-le-Strand. Earlier that day, he had heard the choir at St. Paul’s Cathedral singing Psalm 130, where the Psalmist calls to God „Out of the depths.“
But it was still a depressed Wesley who attended a service on the evening of 24 May. Wesley recounted his Aldersgate experience in his journal: „In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther’s Preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation, and an assurance was given me that he had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.“
A few weeks later, Wesley preached a sermon on the doctrine of personal salvation by faith, which was followed by another, on God’s grace „free in all, and free for all.“ Daniel L. Burnett writes: “The significance of Wesley’s Aldersgate Experience is monumental. It is the pivotal point in his life and the Methodist movement. Without it the names of Wesley and Methodism would likely be nothing more than obscure footnotes in the pages of church history.”
Daniel L. Burnett calls this event Wesley’s „Evangelical Conversion“. It is commemorated in Methodist churches as Aldersgate Day.
Wesley allied himself with the Moravian society in Fetter Lane. In 1738 he went to Herrnhut, the Moravian headquarters in Germany, to study. On his return to England, Wesley drew up rules for the „bands“ into which the Fetter Lane Society was divided and published a collection of hymns for them. He met frequently with this and other religious societies in London but did not preach often in 1738, because most of the parish churches were closed to him.
Wesley’s Oxford friend, the evangelist George Whitefield, was also excluded from the churches of Bristol upon his return from America. Going to the neighbouring village of Kingswood, in February 1739, Whitefield preached in the open air to a company of miners. Later he preached in Whitefield’s Tabernacle. Wesley hesitated to accept Whitefield’s call to copy this bold step. Overcoming his scruples, he preached the first time at Whitefield’s invitation sermon in the open air, near Bristol, in April 1739. Wesley wrote,
I could scarce reconcile myself to this strange way of preaching in the fields, of which he [Whitefield] set me an example on Sunday; having been all my life till very lately so tenacious of every point relating to decency and order, that I should have thought the saving of souls almost a sin if it had not been done in a church.
Wesley was unhappy about the idea of field preaching as he believed Anglican liturgy had much to offer in its practice. Earlier in his life he would have thought that such a method of saving souls was „almost a sin.“ He recognised the open-air services were successful in reaching men and women who would not enter most churches. From then on he took the opportunities to preach wherever an assembly could be brought together, more than once using his father’s tombstone at Epworth as a pulpit. Wesley continued for fifty years – entering churches when he was invited, and taking his stand in the fields, in halls, cottages, and chapels, when the churches would not receive him.
Late in 1739 Wesley broke with the Moravians in London. Wesley had helped them organise the Fetter Lane Society, and those converted by his preaching and that of his brother and Whitefield had become members of their bands. But he believed they fell into heresy by supporting quietism, so he decided to form his own followers into a separate society. „Thus,“ he wrote, „without any previous plan, began the Methodist Society in England.“ He soon formed similar societies in Bristol and Kingswood, and wherever Wesley and his friends made converts.
From 1739 onward, Wesley and the Methodists were persecuted by clergy and magistrates for various reasons. Though Wesley had been ordained an Anglican priest, many other Methodist leaders had not received ordination. And for his own part, Wesley flouted many regulations of the Church of England concerning parish boundaries and who had authority to preach. This was seen as a social threat that disregarded institutions. Clergy attacked them in sermons and in print, and at times mobs attacked them. Wesley and his followers continued to work among the neglected and needy. They were denounced as promulgators of strange doctrines, fomenters of religious disturbances; as blind fanatics, leading people astray, claiming miraculous gifts, attacking the clergy of the Church of England, and trying to re-establish Catholicism.
Wesley felt that the church failed to call sinners to repentance, that many of the clergy were corrupt, and that people were perishing in their sins. He believed he was commissioned by God to bring about revival in the church, and no opposition, persecution, or obstacles could prevail against the divine urgency and authority of this commission. The prejudices of his high-church training, his strict notions of the methods and proprieties of public worship, his views of the apostolic succession and the prerogatives of the priest, even his most cherished convictions, were not allowed to stand in the way.
Unwilling that people should perish in their sins and unable to reach them from church pulpits, following the example set by George Whitefield, Wesley began field preaching. Seeing that he and the few clergy co-operating with him could not do the work that needed to be done, he was led, as early as 1739, to approve local preachers. He evaluated and approved men who were not ordained by the Anglican Church to preach and do pastoral work. This expansion of lay preachers was one of the keys of the growth of Methodism.
As his societies needed houses to worship in, Wesley began to provide chapels, first in Bristol at the New Room, then in London (first The Foundery and then Wesley’s Chapel) and elsewhere. The Foundery was an early chapel utilised by Wesley. The location of the Foundery shown on an 18th-century map, where it rests between Tabernacle Street and Worship Street in the Moorfields area of London. When the Wesleys spotted the building atop Windmill Hill, north of Finsbury Fields, the structure which previously cast brass guns and mortars for the Royal Ordnance had been sitting vacant for 23 years; it has been abandoned because of an explosion on 10 May 1716.
The Bristol chapel (built in 1739) was at first in the hands of trustees. A large debt was contracted, and Wesley’s friends urged him to keep it under his own control, so the deed was cancelled and he became sole trustee. Following this precedent, all Methodist chapels were committed in trust to him until by a „deed of declaration“, all his interests in them were transferred to a body of preachers called the „Legal Hundred“.
When disorder arose among some members of the societies, Wesley adopted giving tickets to members, with their names written by his own hand. These were renewed every three months. Those deemed unworthy did not receive new tickets and dropped out of the society without disturbance. The tickets were regarded as commendatory letters.
When the debt on a chapel became a burden, it was proposed that one in 12 members should collect offerings regularly from the 11 allotted to him. Out of this grew the Methodist class-meeting system in 1742. In order to keep the disorderly out of the societies, Wesley established a probationary system. He undertook to visit each society regularly in what became the quarterly visitation, or conference. As the number of societies increased, Wesley could not keep personal contact, so in 1743 he drew up a set of „General Rules“ for the „United Societies“. These were the nucleus of the Methodist Discipline, still the basis.
Over time, a shifting pattern of societies, circuits, quarterly meetings, annual Conferences, classes, bands, and select societies took shape. At the local level, there were numerous societies of different sizes which were grouped into circuits to which traveling preachers were appointed for two-year periods. Circuit officials met quarterly under a senior traveling preacher or „assistant.“ Conferences with Wesley, traveling preachers and others were convened annually for the purpose of coordinating doctrine and discipline for the entire connection. Classes of a dozen or so society members under a leader met weekly for spiritual fellowship and guidance. In early years, there were „bands“ of the spiritually gifted who consciously pursued perfection. Those who were regarded to have achieved it were grouped in select societies or bands. In 1744, there were 77 such members. There also was a category of penitents which consisted of backsliders.
As the number of preachers and preaching-places increased, doctrinal and administrative matters needed to be discussed; so John and Charles Wesley, along with four other clergy and four lay preachers, met for consultation in London in 1744. This was the first Methodist conference; subsequently, the conference (with Wesley as its president) became the ruling body of the Methodist movement. Two years later, to help preachers work more systematically and societies receive services more regularly, Wesley appointed „helpers“ to definitive circuits. Each circuit included at least 30 appointments a month. Believing that the preacher’s efficiency was promoted by his being changed from one circuit to another every year or two, Wesley established the „itinerancy“ and insisted that his preachers submit to its rules.
As the societies multiplied, they adopted the elements of an ecclesiastical system
, but most strenuously opposed by his brother Charles. Wesley refused to leave the Church of England, believing that Anglicanism was „with all her blemishes, […] nearer the Scriptural plans than any other in Europe“. In 1745 Wesley wrote that he would make any concession which his conscience permitted, in order to live in peace with the clergy. He could not give up the doctrine of an inward and present salvation by faith itself. He would not stop preaching, nor dissolve the societies, nor end preaching by lay members. As a cleric of the established church he had no plans to go further.
When, in 1746, Wesley read Lord King on the primitive church, he became convinced that the concept of apostolic succession in Anglicanism was a „fable“. He wrote that he was „a scriptural episkopos as much as many men in England.“
Many years later, Edward Stillingfleet’s Irenicon led him to decide that ordination could be valid when performed by a presbyter rather than a bishop. Nevertheless, some believe that Wesley was secretly consecrated a bishop in 1763 by Erasmus of Arcadia, and that Wesley could not openly announce his episcopal consecration without incurring the penalty of the Præmunire Act.
In 1784, he believed he could not longer wait for the Bishop of London to ordain someone for the American Methodists, who were without the sacraments after the American War of Independence. The Church of England had been disestablished in the United States, where it had been the state church in most of the southern colonies. The Church of England had not yet appointed a United States bishop to what would become the Protestant Episcopal Church in America. Wesley ordained Thomas Coke as superintendent of Methodists in the United States by the laying on of hands (although Coke was already a priest in the Church of England). He also ordained Richard Whatcoat and Thomas Vasey as elders (or presbyters). Whatcoat and Vasey sailed to America with Coke. Wesley intended that Coke and Asbury (whom Coke ordained as superintendent by direction of Wesley) should ordain others in the newly founded Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. In 1787, Coke and Asbury persuaded the American Methodists to refer to them as bishops rather than superintendents, overruling Wesley’s objections to the change.
His brother Charles was alarmed by the ordinations and Wesley’s evolving view of the matter. He begged Wesley to stop before he had „quite broken down the bridge“ and not embitter his [Charles‘] last moments on earth, nor „leave an indelible blot on our memory.“ Wesley replied that he had not separated from the church, nor did he intend to, but he must and would save as many souls as he could while alive, „without being careful about what may possibly be when I die.“ Although Wesley rejoiced that the Methodists in America were free, he advised his English followers to remain in the established church and he himself died within it.
The 20th-century Wesley scholar Albert Outler argued in his introduction to the 1964 collection John Wesley that Wesley developed his theology by using a method that Outler termed the Wesleyan Quadrilateral. In this method, Wesley believed that the living core of the Christian faith was revealed in Scripture; and the Bible was the sole foundational source of theological or doctrinal development. The centrality of Scripture was so important for Wesley that he called himself „a man of one book“ – meaning the Bible – although he was well-read for his day. However, he believed that doctrine had to be in keeping with Christian orthodox tradition. So, tradition was considered the second aspect of the Quadrilateral.
Wesley contended that a part of the theological method would involve experiential faith. In other words, truth would be vivified in personal experience of Christians (overall, not individually), if it were really truth. And every doctrine must be able to be defended rationally. He did not divorce faith from reason. Tradition, experience and reason, however, were subject always to Scripture, Wesley argued, because only there is the Word of God revealed „so far as it is necessary for our salvation.“
The doctrines which Wesley emphasised in his sermons and writings are prevenient grace, present personal salvation by faith, the witness of the Spirit, and sanctification. Prevenient grace was the theological underpinning of his belief that all persons were capable of being saved by faith in Christ. Unlike the Calvinists of his day, Wesley did not believe in predestination, that is, that some persons had been elected by God for salvation and others for damnation. He understood that Christian orthodoxy insisted that salvation was only possible by the sovereign grace of God. He expressed his understanding of humanity’s relationship to God as utter dependence upon God’s grace. God was at work to enable all people to be capable of coming to faith by empowering humans to have actual existential freedom of response to God.
Wesley defined the witness of the Spirit as: „an inward impression on the soul of believers, whereby the Spirit of God directly testifies to their spirit that they are the children of God.“ He based this doctrine upon certain Biblical passages (see Romans 8:15–16 as an example). This doctrine was closely related to his belief that salvation had to be „personal.“ In his view, a person must ultimately believe the Good News for himself or herself; no one could be in relation to God for another.
Sanctification he described in 1790 as the „grand depositum which God has lodged with the people called `Methodists‘.“ Wesley taught that sanctification was obtainable after justification by faith, between justification and death. He did not contend for „sinless perfection“; rather, he contended that a Christian could be made „perfect in love“. (Wesley studied Eastern Orthodoxy and particularly the doctrine of Theosis). This love would mean, first of all, that a believer’s motives, rather than being self-centred, would be guided by the deep desire to please God. One would be able to keep from committing what Wesley called, „sin rightly so-called.“ By this he meant a conscious or intentional breach of God’s will or laws. A person could still be able to sin, but intentional or wilful sin could be avoided.
Secondly, to be made perfect in love meant, for Wesley, that a Christian could live with a primary guiding regard for others and their welfare. He based this on Christ’s quote that the second great command is „to love your neighbour as you love yourself.“ In his view, this orientation would cause a person to avoid any number of sins against his neighbour. This love, plus the love for God that could be the central focus of a person’s faith, would be what Wesley referred to as „a fulfilment of the law of Christ.“
Wesley entered controversies as he tried to enlarge church practice. The most notable of his controversies was that on Calvinism. His father was of the Arminian school in the church. Wesley came to his own conclusions while in college and expressed himself strongly against the doctrines of Calvinistic election and reprobation. His system of thought has become known as Wesleyan Arminianism, the foundations of which were laid by Wesley and Fletcher.
Whitefield inclined to Calvinism. In his first tour in America, he embraced the views of the New England School of Calvinism. When in 1739 Wesley preached a sermon on Freedom of Grace, attacking the Calvinistic understanding of predestination as blasphemous, as it represented „God as worse than the devil,“ Whitefield asked him not to repeat or publish the discourse, as he did not want a dispute. Wesley published his sermon anyway. Whitefield was one of many who responded. The two men separated their practice in 1741. Wesley wrote that those who held to unlimited atonement did not desire separation, but „those who held ‚particular redemption‘ would not hear of any accommodation.“
Whitefield, Harris, Cennick, and others, became the founders of Calvinistic Methodism. Whitefield and Wesley, however, were soon back on friendly terms, and their friendship remained unbroken although they travelled different paths. When someone asked Whitefield if he thought he would see Wesley in heaven, Whitefield replied, „I fear not, for he will be so near the eternal throne and we at such a distance, we shall hardly get sight of him.“
In 1770, the controversy broke out anew with violence and bitterness, as people’s view of God related to their views of men and their possibilities. Augustus Montague Toplady, Rowland, Richard Hill and others were engaged on one side, while Wesley and Fletcher stood on the other. Toplady was editor of The Gospel Magazine, which had articles covering the controversy.
In 1778, Wesley began the publication of The Arminian Magazine, not, he said, to convince Calvinists, but to preserve Methodists. He wanted to teach the truth that „God willeth all men to be saved.“ A „lasting peace“ could be secured in no other way.
Later in his ministry, Wesley was a keen abolitionist, speaking out and writing against the slave trade. He published a pamphlet on slavery, titled Thoughts Upon Slavery, in 1774. To quote from one of his tracts against the slave trade: „Liberty is the right of every human creature, as soon as he breathes the vital air; and no human law can deprive him of that right which he derives from the law of nature“. Wesley influenced George Whitefield to journey to the colonies, spurring the transatlantic debate on slavery. Wesley was a friend of John Newton and William Wilberforce who were also influential in the abolition of slavery in Britain.
John Wesley travelled generally on horseback, preaching two or three times each day. Stephen Tomkins writes that he „rode 250,000 miles, gave away 30,000 pounds, … and preached more than 40,000 sermons… „
He formed societies, opened chapels, examined and commissioned preachers, administered aid charities, prescribed for the sick, helped to pioneer the use of electric shock for the treatment of illness, superintended schools and orphanages, and received at least £20,000 for his publications but used little of it for himself.
Wesley practised a vegetarian diet and abstained from wine. Wesley warned against the dangers of alcohol abuse in his famous sermon, „The Use of Money,“ and in his letter to an alcoholic. Following his lead, Methodist churches became pioneers in the Temperance movement of the 19th and 20th centuries.
After attending a performance in Bristol Cathedral in 1758, Wesley said: „I went to the cathedral to hear Mr. Handel’s Messiah. I doubt if that congregation was ever so serious at a sermon as they were during this performance. In many places, especially several of the choruses, it exceeded my expectation.“
He is described as below medium height, well proportioned, strong, with a bright eye, a clear complexion, and a saintly, intellectual face. Wesley married very unhappily at the age of 48 to a widow, Mary Vazeille, described as „a well-to-do widow and mother of four children.“ The couple had no children. Vazeille left him 15 years later. John Singleton writes: „By 1758 she had left him – unable to cope, it is said, with the competition for his time and devotion presented by the ever-burgeoning Methodist movement. Molly, as she was known, was to return and leave him again on several occasions before their final separation.“ Wesley wryly reported in his journal, „I did not forsake her, I did not dismiss her, I will not recall her.“
In 1770, at the death of George Whitefield, Wesley wrote a memorial sermon which praised Whitefield’s admirable qualities and acknowledged the two men’s differences: „There are many doctrines of a less essential nature … In these we may think and let think; we may ‚agree to disagree.‘ But, meantime, let us hold fast the essentials…“ Wesley was the first to put the phrase „agree to disagree“ in print.
Wesley died on 2 March 1791, in his 87th year. As he lay dying, his friends gathered around him, Wesley grasped their hands and said repeatedly, „Farewell, farewell.“ At the end, he said, „The best of all is, God is with us“, lifted his arms and raised his feeble voice again, repeating the words, „The best of all is, God is with us.“ He was entombed at Wesley’s Chapel, which he built in City Road, London, in England. The site also is now both a place of worship and a visitor attraction, incorporating the Museum of Methodism and John Wesley’s House.
Because of his charitable nature he died poor, leaving as the result of his life’s work 135,000 members and 541 itinerant preachers under the name „Methodist“. It has been said that „when John Wesley was carried to his grave, he left behind him a good library of books, a well-worn clergyman’s gown“ and the Methodist Church.
Wesley was a logical thinker and expressed himself clearly, concisely and forcefully in writing. His written sermons are characterised by spiritual earnestness and simplicity. They are doctrinal but not dogmatic. His Notes on the New Testament (1755) are enlightening. Both the Sermons (about 140) and the Notes are doctrinal standards. Wesley was a fluent, powerful and effective preacher. He usually preached spontaneously and briefly, though occasionally at great length.
As an organiser, a religious leader and a statesman, he was eminent. He knew how to lead and control men to achieve his purposes. He used his power, not to provoke rebellion, but to inspire love. His mission was to spread „Scriptural holiness“; his means and plans were such as Providence indicated. The course thus mapped out for him he pursued with a determination from which nothing could distract him.
Wesley’s prose Works were first collected by himself (32 vols., Bristol, 1771–74, frequently reprinted in editions varying greatly in the number of volumes). His chief prose works are a standard publication in seven octavo volumes of the Methodist Book Concern, New York. The Poetical Works of John and Charles, ed. G. Osborn, appeared in 13 vols., London, 1868–72.
In addition to his Sermons and Notes are his Journals (originally published in 20 parts
KELME Men Sport Round Collar Short Sleeve Running Basketball Football Training T-shirt
, London, 1740–89; new ed. by N. Curnock containing notes from unpublished diaries, 6 vols., vols. i–ii, London and New York, 1909–11); The Doctrine of Original Sin (Bristol, 1757; in reply to Dr. John Taylor of Norwich); An Earnest Appeal to Men of Reason and Religion (originally published in three parts; 2nd ed., Bristol, 1743), an elaborate defence of Methodism, describing the evils of the times in society and the church; and a Plain Account of Christian Perfection (1766).
Wesley adapted the Book of Common Prayer for use by American Methodists. In his Watch Night service, he made use of a pietist prayer now generally known as the Wesley Covenant Prayer, perhaps his most famous contribution to Christian liturgy. He also was a noted hymn-writer, translator and compiler of a hymnal.
Wesley also wrote on divine physics, such as in Desideratum, subtitled Electricity made Plain and Useful by a Lover of Mankind and of Common Sense (1759).
In spite of the proliferation of his literary output, Wesley was challenged for plagiarism for borrowing heavily from an essay by Samuel Johnson, publishing in March 1775. Initially denying the charge, Wesley later recanted and apologised officially.
Wesley continues to be the primary theological influence on Methodists and Methodist-heritage groups the world over; the largest bodies being the United Methodist Church, the Methodist Church of Great Britain and the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Wesleyan teachings also serve as a basis for the holiness movement, which includes denominations like the Wesleyan Church, the Free Methodist Church, the Church of the Nazarene, the Christian and Missionary Alliance, the Church of God (Anderson, IN), and several smaller groups, and from which Pentecostalism and parts of the Charismatic Movement are offshoots. Wesley’s call to personal and social holiness continues to challenge Christians who attempt to discern what it means to participate in the Kingdom of God. In addition, he refined Arminianism with a strong evangelical emphasis on the Reformed doctrine of justification by faith.
He is commemorated in the Calendar of Saints of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on 2 March with his brother Charles. The Wesley brothers are also commemorated on 3 March in the Calendar of Saints of the Episcopal Church and on 24 May in the Anglican calendar.
Wesley’s legacy is preserved in Kingswood School, which he founded in 1748 in order to educate the children of the growing number of Methodist preachers. Also, one of the four form houses at the St Marylebone Church of England School, London, is named after John Wesley.
Wesley’s house and chapel, which he built in 1778 on City Road in London, are still intact today and the chapel has a thriving congregation with regular services as well as the Museum of Methodism in the crypt.
In 2002, Wesley was listed at number 50 on the BBC’s list of the 100 Greatest Britons.
In 1831, Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, was the first institution of higher education in the United States to be named after Wesley. The now secular institution was founded as an all-male Methodist college. About 20 unrelated colleges and universities in the US were subsequently named after him.
The Wesley Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, is named after John Wesley
In 1954, the Radio and Film Commission of the Methodist Church in cooperation with J. Arthur Rank produced the film John Wesley. The film was a live-action re-telling of the story of the life of John Wesley, with Leonard Sachs as Wesley.
In 2009, a more ambitious feature film, Wesley, was released by Foundery Pictures, starring Burgess Jenkins as John Wesley, with June Lockhart as Susanna Wesley, R. Keith Harris as Charles Wesley, and the Golden Globe winner Kevin McCarthy as Bishop Ryder. The film was directed by the award-winning film-maker John Jackman.
1936 Berlin ·1948 London· 1952 Helsingfors · 1956 Melbourne · 1960 Roma   Fabric Shaver;· 1964 Tokyo · 1968 Mexico by · 1972 München · 1976 Montreal · 1984 Los Angeles · 1988 Seoul · 1992 Barcelona · 1996 Atlanta · 2000 Sydney · 2004 Athen · 2008 Beijing · 2012 London
Saint-Pierre-de-Lages (okzitanischSant Pèire de Latge) ist eine Gemeinde mit 794 Einwohnern (Stand: 1. Januar 2013) im französischen Département Haute-Garonne in der Région Midi-Pyrénées. Die Gemeinde gehört zum Arrondissement Toulouse und zum Kanton Revel (bis 2015: Kanton Lanta). Die Einwohner werden Saint-Pierrins genannt.
Saint-Pierre-de-Lages liegt etwa 14 Kilometer ostsüdöstlich von Toulouse in der Lauragais. Umgeben wird Saint-Pierre-de-Lages von den Nachbargemeinden Vallesvilles im Norden und Nordosten, Lanta im Osten, Sainte-Foy-d’Aigrefeuille im Süden und Südosten sowie Drémil-Lafage im Westen und Nordwesten.
Shops and Cafe is a heritage-listed row of shops at 54-58 Churchill Street, Childers, Bundaberg Region, Queensland, Australia. It was designed by F H Faircloth and built from c. 1912 to 1930s. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.
54-58 Churchill Street, comprising three shops and a cafe, was erected c. 1912 in Childers‘ main street, for local farmers Robert Gant and William Brand.
The town of Childers grew up around a railway terminus opened in 1887 to facilitate timber getting in the Isis Scrub. By 1903, when the Isis Shire Council was formed, Childers had become the administrative centre of a prosperous sugar growing region with several local sugar mills and a large seasonal population, including, until the turn of the century, Kanaka labourers, who came to cut cane. From the 1950s increasing mechanisation in the sugar industry resulted in a decreasing population. In the 1980s, Childers, whilst remaining a „sugar town“ also became known as a „heritage town“, with much of the main street being listed by the National Trust as part of a conservation area
In common with a number of other Queensland towns, Childers was surveyed as a private town rather than by surveyors appointed by the colonial government. In the 1890s much of the main street, including this site, was subdivided into small allotments
. The site (known as resub 9) was acquired by William Thompson and Robert Dinnie of Childers in 1895 from Frederick John Charlton and Henry Jardine Gray. In the following year it was transferred to Robert Hancock; after his death in 1898, it passed to trustees. By 1900 a single skinned timber shop, probably known as Cocking’s store is known to have been on the site. In March 1902 fire destroyed many of the shops along the southern side of Childers‘ main street, which were subsequently replaced by masonry buildings. The timber store on resub 9 was, however, spared.
In 1908, the property was acquired by Gant and Brand. By 1912, the timber shop had been replaced by the existing masonry building, believed to have been designed by Bundaberg architect, FH Faircloth, who was responsible for the design of many of the new buildings erected after the 1902 fire. In that year, resub 9 was subdivided. Sub 1 (nos 54 and 56) remained with Gant and Brand; sub 2 containing the Marble Cafe (no 58) was acquired by John Comino.
The Comino brothers, John, Paul, George, and Arthur arrived in Childers from the Greek island of Kythera in the early 1900s. Soon after they established a fruit and refreshment business in the town, apparently at 102 Churchill Street (Coronation Building). The Marble Cafe was established in the new building erected by Gant and Brand. The business comprised a fruit shop, wine bar, and cafe, which catered to the large population of workers associated with the surrounding sugar farms. The cafe was furnished with silky oak fittings, potted palms, and tables with Italian carrera marble tops, which gave the cafe its name. The cafe was run by Paul Comino until his death in 1978, after which time the fittings were sold.
Sub 1 (nos 54 and 56) remained in the ownership of Gant and Brand, and their respective estates, until 1959. It is not clear whether this part of the building was erected as one or a number of shops. However, it appears, that by the 1930s, it contained the three existing shops. For twenty years from the early 1930s, part of no 56 was leased to the Union Bank of Australia Ltd (now the ANZ Bank). Alterations including the installation of bars over the bank windows (part of no 56); the installation of a glazed shop front to the adjoining shop (part of no 56); and alterations to the awning of the building including sheeting the timber soffit with pressed metal may have been carried out about this time. Tenants of the other shops at this time were tailor, A Crossley (54) and the local newspaper, the Isis Recorder (part of no 56), who remained a tenant until the 1980s, taking over the bank premises as well from the 1950s. More recently, the shop at no 54 was used as electoral offices for the local Parliamentary members.
Since 1959, when Paul Comino acquired the three shops, members of the Comino family have owned the four premises comprising the building. The shops are currently occupied by a florist (54), St Vincent de Paul (56), a dress shop (56), and the Marble Cafe (58).
54-58 Churchill Street is single-storeyed rendered masonry building with pitched corrugated iron roofs, comprising four internally disparate shops which are united by a common parapet and awning. The building is similar in materials, scale and parapet features to other commercial buildings on Churchill St. It is located on a bend at the eastern end of the street, and contributes significantly to the picturesque townscape of the street.
The building sits on a wedge-shaped block, and has a truncated eastern frontage. The different shops reflect their different uses: no 54 is a small shop with a single display window; no 56 comprises two shops, a former bank, more generously proportioned than its neighbour, which has a rendered masonry street facade, and a narrow shop with a two display windows and a central entrance; no 58 is a large skylit cafe with two entrances and three display windows.
The street facade which links these shops comprises a substantial parapet, a flat sheet metal awning, shopfronts combined with a rendered brickwork facade. The awning is supported on turned timber posts which have an idiosyncratic variety of bases. It has a pressed metal ceiling with rich geometric floral motifs, and metal roses which are centred over each shop entrance. The front parapet has prominent features, with three recessed and framed panels topped with arched and triangular pediments rising above a deep cornice. The panels are spaced with expressed piers, and shaped parapet tops run between the pediments.
The building has fine intact display windows, with delicate timber beading around broad glass panels, recessed entrances with timber double doors, and timber stall risers. No 58 has a central bay supported by two internal columns with fanned capitals
. Nos 58 and the shop at no 56 also retain their internal glazed and framed panels to the back of the display windows. The former bank at no 56 has barred rectangular windows with toothed white cement-rendered surrounds.
No 58 has a generously proportioned and impressive internal space, with a high timber lined half-raked ceiling with metal roses, a central rectangular clerestory skylight and exposed hammerbeam trusses. No 58 also has a timber lined and sheeted „clubroom“ to the rear which is externally clad in weatherboard. The shop at no 56 has a flat timber boarded ceiling with several evenly-spaced funnel-shaped skylights which have been sealed over. The former bank at no 56 also has a timber lined ceiling, with metal roses, and contains a now disused rendered concrete strong room. All of the shops have areas of diamond-patterned ceramic tiled floors.
54-58 Churchill Street has a fine decorative facade, awning and shopfronts. No 58 has an aesthetically impressive interior, whilst other interiors appear to relate strongly to their former uses. The building makes a significant contribution to the picturesque townscape of Churchill Street, in its location, form, scale, and materials.
The Shops and Cafe at 54-58 Churchill Street, Chiilders was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992 having satisfied the following criteria.
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland’s history.
The shops and cafe at 54-58 Churchill Street, Childers, erected c. 1912, are important in demonstrating the evolution of Queensland’s history, being evidence of the development of Childers in the early 20th century as a properous timber and sugar town, forming the heart of the Isis Shire, and in particular the rebuilding of the south side of the main street in the early 1900s.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of both an early 1900s country town commercial building in general (in particular the parapets, awnings, shop fronts, and overall form) and early 1900s Childers commercial buildings in particular, (in particular the form, scale, and materials).
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance.
It is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Childers community and visitors alike, including the spatial proportions, exposed trusses and clerestory lighting of no.58 which contribute to an impressive shop interior; the fine decorative parapet, awning, and shopfronts; and the building’s significant contribution in form, scale, materials, and details to the architecturally coherent and picturesque Churchill Street streetscape and townscape.
The place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in Queensland’s history.
The place has a special association with the life and work of the Comino family, a characteristic Greek immigrant trading family; with the local newspaper, the Isis Recorder; and with Bundaberg architect FH Faircloth, as an example of his work.
This Wikipedia article was originally based on published by the State of Queensland under licence (accessed on 7 July 2014, on 8 October 2014). The geo-coordinates were originally computed from the published by the State of Queensland under licence (accessed on 5 September 2014, on 15 October 2014)